Over the River and Through the Woods

In a last-ditch effort to avoid the lack of a blog entry in November, I am hurriedly posting this brief glimpse into our trip to the Duckabush over the Thanksgiving holiday.

Thanks to the generosity of my employer, I had Thursday and Friday off, and was released a few hours early on Wednesday. We packed hurriedly and drove out to the Duckabush Wednesday evening, arriving after dark but in time to enjoy a few hours with our neighbors, Tom and Casey.

We spent Thursday lolling about the house, enjoying the delectable aromas and then devouring the feast (which began around 1:30 pm and ended some time on Saturday) with Grandma and Grandpa. We played Dealer’s Choice (a 1970-era board game in which each player assumes the role of a used car dealer) and started a rather difficult 1000-piece puzzle. As expected, it rained most of the weekend, but we (veteran Washingtonians that we are) simply hunkered down and enjoyed it, watching movies, reading books, and playing computer games.

It was delightful to have a few days when we could sleep in, stay up late, and be away from the cares and responsibilities of our home. The kids worked on gingerbread houses with Grandma, and we all trooped over to make Christmas wreaths (or, in some cases, watch Grandma make the wreaths) during one of the dry spells on Friday. The boys and I did an hour or so of raking, if only to demonstrate that we could still move after all the leftovers were devoured. We enjoyed a visit from the Zelen children and even found time to sneak in a few quick games of ‘Kings and Queens’ with the whole Zelen family. Later, the Bringhams came back to help us finish our puzzle — Teddi Jo had the honor of placing the final piece.

Sunday morning dawned with about 2 inches of snow, much to the delight of the children. We had a rather interesting church service at home, in which I would read a verse fragment and the kids would try to guess where it was found in the Bible (or at least the rough vicinity of the verse). I was impressed with their familiarity with the scriptures, as usual.

About the time we were packing up and cleaning, the power went out, which put a damper on things a little. We headed home, refreshed and relaxed, and (with a little extra care on the snowy roads) arrived safely.

I’ll sneak in a few pictures when I get the chance, but I must post before people realize that it is actually December 1.

Share or follow

Related posts: